Sunday, January 13, 2008

Shooting the Sunday Breeze

Roy had the entire weekend off and we had a great two days together.

We went to the Red Market yesterday and did our marketing. There is now no more space in my fridge for any more food. It was really fun doing grocery shopping there because of the great variety. And for the first time, I really had to flex my domestic skill in trying to plan for the upcoming week's meal menus.

On Sunday, we meant to go to church but we overslept and we didn't make it. We stayed up till late watching 'Dexter'. After doing some housework, we took the bus and headed out to the remaining island in Macau that we hadn't been to - Coloane. Coloane strikes me as a cross between Changi Village and Old Katong.

Using a walking route I found on the internet, we found some pretty amazing sights. We were first greeted by Cupid at the village centre where Lord Stow's bakery was nearby. Lord Stow's bakery is said to be the bakery to have invented the famous Portugese egg tart. The sign outside the bakery said that it was established in 1989. So does that mean that this Portugese egg tart has only been around for 17 years?




Roy insisted that we buy a box of 6. Each cost 6 MOP or SG1.20. We sat by the beach and gobbled them up at one go. Here I am with a half-eaten 'dan tat'. Check out the 'kelongs' in the background.

(Oh! My camera decided to work today so you will get some pictures!)

After our breakfast of egg tarts ( at 1pm), we explored the village for a while. We found some quaint spots. Nothing mindblowing but still pretty nonetheless. ( Ah yes! You can see the wrinkles I have grown after 2 weeks here!)



This yellow building is the facade of a Catholic church near the village square. We didn't get a great shot but this building is really a cheerful sight with its sunny yellow walls.









We hopped onto bus 25 from the village down to Hac Sa Beach, Black Sand Beach. They say that the sand on this beach is naturally black but Roy and I aren't so sure that pollution had nothing to do with it. For me, I just find it puzzling that there is yellow sand as well and the black sand just didn't look as black as I thought black sand would look. Though it was a rather grey and hazy day, there were still many tourists going down to the beach. There were even two guys windsurfing. Brrr! Don't know how they can stand the cold.



Though I really wanted to try Portugese food at a famous and popular restaurant nearby, I was cheesed off by the rude waitress. Another poor experience with bad service at a Portugese restaurant. Sigh! I don't know when I would ever be able to taste Portugese cuisine at this rate.

Anyhow, it turned out to be a blessing in disguise as we opted to sit at make-shift tables by the beachfront to have barbecued seasfood.We had a great spot where we could enjoy the view of the entire Hac Sa stretch while we devoured the tasty local barbecque. The tentacles were really chunky! Check out the photo of Roy holding them up and you can see that some of them are even thicker than Roy's fingers! The fish was really fresh and none of the icky-fishy taste. It was grilled to perfection and the flesh was still really juicy. I really liked the chicken wings. I can't quite figure out the marinade except that there must be some honey and some herbs.

We only spent 68MOP for our spread that included a big bottle of Tsing Tao (only 10MOP/SG 2), a fish, two chicken wings, two sticks of octopus tentacles and a grilled cuttlefish. The grilled cuttlefish was crispy and not too salty. However, it proved itself deserving of its nickname 'Chinese Chewing Gum'. It took me some effort to check it enough before I could swallow it.

After the meal, we were rather sleepy and we headed home.
I put my culinary skill to practice again. For the first time in my life, I cooked watercress with pork rib soup as well as stir fried brinjal with sambal belachan. I put in almost half a bottle of sambal belachan as the paste in the pan looked so dry. What a mistake! I set my tongue and tummy on fire last night! Even Roy who takes more chilli than I do said that it was a little too spicy. Oh well! After two tummyaches in the middle of the night, I think I know better now.

1 comment:

Noorlinah said...

The pictures look lovely. When you camera works again, do take pictures of your apartment and your neighbourhood. It'd be great to take a peek as if we are there with you.

Noorlinah