Today was my first time at a Ladies' Bible Study group. With thanks to Kim, who happens to be all the way in the US, I found a local international church that run various activities during the week.
I was really glad to have made my way to the gathering. The group is made up of mostly of expatriate women. Most of whom found themselves in Macau because of their husbands' work here.
It has been a long time since I've been in such a multi-cultural environment. Though the group is mainly Caucasian, they come from different backgrounds and nations. This diversity did not strike me until a lady, Beverly, remarked that there were so many accents in the group and that it was 'beautiful'.
'Beautiful accents'. I never thought of describing the different ways people speak a language as 'beautiful accents'. Most times, being the horrible Singaporean, I pick up on how certain nationalities pronounce words that sound strange to my years and then amuse myself to no end trying to mimic them e.g. the Hong Kong or 'Hongkie' English accent. (By the way, I've irritated Roy with my HK English so much that he has already issued me stern warnings NOT to try it again.) But now, I feel challenged to re-examine my perspectives and to paradigm-shift. Can I , and will I , ever too learn to feel that different accents and tongues are a beautiful sound too? I wonder how long more it will take for me to be able to say sincerely that I like Macau and her people.
Being at the group also made me think of what heaven might be like. Like the diverse group of women today, heaven will probably be filled and coloured with the presence of different people groups. The only common denominators that bind would be that God is our Father and that we love Him. Every tribe and tongue gathered together in jubilation before our Creator Dad.
I suspect there will probably be more heterogeneity than homogenity up in heaven. I cannot imagine the kind of creative energy that will be bursting and radiating from every one up in Paradise. It will be so exciting. This diverse creative energy will be something quite different from what I feel we can experience now in our churches because sometimes, in church, we push for more conformity than accept and celebrate God-given diversity.
And you know, I am glad that because of Jesus, heaven can be also found on earth. Heaven is not just for when we die but for us to enjoy even as we live today. People with genuine and generous hearts share a piece of paradise with us. And I am glad that I have met some today who probably will make my heart smile and grow less homesick.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment